|Fry’s original hot dogs||8|
|Everyday Favourites jumbo hot dog rolls 7 inch top sliced||8|
|For the pickled pink onions:|
|Red onions, sliced into thin rings||2|
|Everyday Favourites salt||1 tbsp|
|Apple cider or white wine vinegar||230ml|
|Freshly squeezed lime juice||120ml|
|For the coconut bacon:|
|Large flaked coconut||160g|
|Sunflower oil||1 tbsp|
|Soy sauce||2 tbsps|
|Everyday Favourites paprika||1 tsp|
|Agave syrup||1 tbsp|
|Liquid smoke||1/2 tsp|
|Vegan mayo||1 tbsp per hotdog|
|Chopped gherkin||1 tsp per hot dog|
|Salt and pepper||to season|
The page that you are currently reading is an ad feature
- Start with the pink onions as they take an hour to pickle.
- Place the onions in a medium bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover them. Count to ten, then drain the onions and add them to a glass bowl or jar and set aside.
- In a small pan over medium heat, whisk the sugar, salt, vinegar and lime juice until the sugar and salt dissolve. Now pour the sugar solution over the onions, and leave for at least an hour, until the onions turn a great shade of pink and have cooled.
- Now move on to the coconut bacon. Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut flakes, oil, soy sauce, agave syrup, liquid smoke and salt and pepper. Mix with your hands so all the coconut flakes are thoroughly coated.
- Bake in the oven for six minutes, then turn over the coconut flakes and bake for another five to seven minutes, until the flakes are a golden brown. Be careful not to let them burn – it’s very easy to do at this stage!
- Let the coconut bacon cool, they’ll crisp up as they do, and then store in a jar until ready to use.
- Now fire up the grill and cook the Fry’s Original Hot Dogs. Assemble the toasted hot dog rolls with a little vegan mayo, the pink pickled onions, a sprinkle of chopped gherkin and the coconut bacon.