The Mediterranean diet is seen as one of the healthiest there is
This has been a generic diet with influences from different areas of the Mediterranean. We are now seeing the cuisine from the individual countries, even going into regional cuisines. The main influences are classic Italian and Spanish cuisines. Classic French cuisine is also starting to emerge, from a laminated croissant through to a revamped coq au vin and beef bourguignon.
Why is this a 2019 food trend?
Mediterranean food has been very popular over the last few years, with the Mediterranean diet answering a number of consumer’s health needs. Now, as authenticity in cuisines becomes more important, following a move towards provenance and origins in our food, regional European foods are taking over.
Defining this trend
- Exploring cuisines from the individual countries, and even regions, of Europe
- Witnessing more of the influences of classic cuisines from Spain and Italy
- Healthy ingredients of the Mediterranean meet the extravagances of the French
- Regional foods and ingredients are taking prime spots to showcase their European heritage
- Classic dishes from the specific regions of diverse countries such as Italy and Spain are reappearing
- Dishes representing France’s history of fine dining are being refreshed to appeal to today’s consumers