Beyond the basics
This is all about taking basic dishes and making them bigger and better
Why is this a 2020 food trend?
Using the best quality ingredients, what we know as a simple thing, can turn into a very special dish or drink. Croissants filled with desserts, or sandwiches created with the very best artisanal bread – this is about taking something we know and love and using it as a base to indulge and explore
Key sub-trends for beyond the basics:
- Crazy croissants – Sweet or savoury, these new style croissants are over-filled and brightly coloured
- Humble toast – There is nothing simpler than a slice of toast, but using the very best ingredients can elevate it to something special
- Egg-cellent – Boiled or fried? Shakshuka or tea-stained? Duck or pheasant? 2020 is the year that all types of eggs and egg dishes will take centre stage!
- Back to British – Nostalgia is bigger than ever and foods from by-gone eras are being brought back to the present
- Sando fever – Take the very best bread and then fill (we mean fill) with the best ingredients you can find
- Breakfast grown up – Breakfast and brunch dishes don’t have to be eaten in the morning, they are appearing across all eating occasions
- Super salads – Wave goodbye to Waldorf and goodbye Greek, in 2020 salads will be getting bigger and better and eaten all year round