|Sticky ginger and chilli crusted salmon|
|Everyday Favourites raw Scottish salmon portions skinless 140-170g||4|
|4 inch pieces of ginger, finely grated||2|
|Garlic cloves, finely grated||8|
|Coriander, stalks finely chopped and leaves reserved to serve||1 large bunch|
|Mild red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped||4|
|Kikkoman soy sauce||8 tbsps|
|Brown sugar||3 tbsps|
|Lime zest and juice||1|
|Olive oil||1 tbsp|
|Soy stir-fried greens|
|Small brown onions, finely sliced||2|
|Sea salt||a pinch of|
|Brown sugar||1 tsp|
|Tenderstem broccoli, trimmed and sliced in half lengthways||250g|
|Asparagus spears, trimmed of their woody end||150g|
|Mange tout or snow peas, washed||150g|
|Peanut oil||3 tbsps|
|Kikkoman soy sauce||2 tbsps|
|Whole mint leaves||to serve|
|Whole coriander leaves||to serve|
|Nigella seeds||1 tbsp, to serve|
Sticky ginger and chilli crusted salmon
- Preheat your oven to 230°C fan.
- Combine the soy sauce, rice wine, mirin, brown sugar, garlic, coriander stems and 3/4 of the ginger in a sauce pan. Cook for 10 minutes, until it has reduced by half. Remove from the heat and add in the remaining ginger, lime zest and juice and allow to cool.
- Rub the bottom of a baking dish with the olive oil and place in the salmon fillets, leaving room between them. Spoon a heaped tablespoon of the glaze over each fillet fish and allow it to penetrate for a few minutes. Repeat.
- When ready to eat place in the oven for 10 minutes on the top shelf. After a few minutes pull out and spoon another tablespoon of glaze over each fish, then return to the oven for another few minutes. Keep checking the fish - and that the glaze is not burning - and take out when medium-rare to medium (be a bit brave - it will continue to cook as it sits!). Serve with soy stir fried greens.
- Heat a large wok with a tablespoon of peanut oil and fry your onions slowly with a pinch of salt and the brown sugar until caramelised, about ten minutes then tip into a small bowl.
- Return the wok to a high heat and when smoking throw in your vegetables. Fry quickly, tossing constantly, for two minutes. Add a big splash of soy sauce and the same amount of water and allow the steam to cook the vegetables. When just tender tip onto a serving platter and keep warm until ready to serve alongside the salmon.
- At the last minute scattering your nigella seeds, mint and coriander.