|Smoked ham hock||1|
|Large onion, roughly chopped||1|
|Large carrot, roughly chopped||1|
|Celery sticks, roughly chopped||2|
|Bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaf and parsley)||1|
|Garlic cloves (crushed or minced)||2|
|(10½oz) dried green or yellow split peas||300g|
|Frozen green peas (shelled weight)||400g|
|Olive oil||1 tbsp|
The page that you are currently reading is an ad feature
- Soak ham hock in a pan of cold water for 2 hours before cooking. Change water after first hour.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, fry and stir until the onion is soft.
- Fill a large saucepan with 3 pints of water and bring to the boil.
- Add ham hock, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, dried peas, bouquet garni, rosemary and simmer for 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes, add the frozen peas and cook for a further 10 min.
- Remove the bouquet garni and dispose.
- Transfer the ham hock into a bowl, remove skin, bone and fat, then finely shred the ham and put aside.
- Puree the soup in the pan with a stick blended to desired thickness.
- Once pureed, heat the soup and add the shredded ham.
- Garnish with black pepper and serve.