|Everyday Favourites Italian macaroni||350g|
|Béchamel (see ingredients and method)||300ml|
|Full fat cream cheese||200ml|
|Everyday Favourites salted butter||1 tsp|
|Cloves garlic, chopped||2|
|Mustard powder||1 tsp|
|Everyday Favourites mature white Cheddar||200g|
|Maple cured bacon, grilled until crispy||6 slices|
|Everyday Favourites pure Canadian maple syrup||1 tbsp|
|Everyday Favourites natural breadcrumbs||to top|
|Ingredients for 500ml béchamel|
|Everyday Favourites bay leaf||1|
|Everyday Favourites unsalted butter||50g|
|Everyday Favourites plain white flour||50g|
Method for béchamel
- Gently bring the milk to the boil in a small saucepan with the onion, studded with the bay and cloves. Turn off the heat and leave to infuse for 20 mins.
- Melt the butter in another saucepan, then add the flour. Stir continuously until a roux. Continue stirring for 2 mins.
- Remove the onion, bay and cloves from the milk with a slotted spoon and discard. Add the infused milk to the roux gradually, stirring as you go, until you get a smooth sauce. Cook for 5-10 mins, stirring continuously, until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
Method for the mac ‘n’ cheese
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the garlic and mustard and cook for one minute. Add the béchamel and cream cheese, reduce the heat, simmer for one minute. Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Boil the pasta until al dente, drain and mix with the cheese sauce. Spoon half the mix into a baking dish, top with the crispy bacon broken into bits, drizzle over the maple syrup and then top with the rest of the mix.
- Top with breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan, bake for 20 minutes until golden.