|Hovis Best of Both bread & roll mix
|Caster sugar (for cooking in water)
|Everyday Favourites unsalted butter (optional) and caster sugar into a large bowl
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the Hovis Best of Both bread & roll mix in a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Blend in the warm water and mix on a medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Add the seeds and blackcurrants, and mix for a further 30 seconds on a slow speed, until fully incorporated.
- Split the dough into 10 equal portions (approx. 96g each) and mould into a flattish ball.
- Take a wooden spoon and use the handle to make a hole in the middle of each ball, then twirl the bagel around the spoon handle to make a hole about 3cm wide, using a little flour if the dough becomes sticky (cover the bagel loosely with cling film while you shape the remaining dough).
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the sugar.
- Place the bagels in the boiling water (keeping them separate so they don’t stick together) and cook for approx. 2 minutes, turning over, until the bagels have puffed slightly and a skin has formed. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon (draining any excess water) and place onto a baking tray.
- Bake for approx. 12 minutes, until golden brown and serve either whole or sliced, toasted and buttered.