|For the battered baby corn:|
|Frozen baby sweetcorn cobs - defrosted||20|
|Soft plain flour – plus a little extra for dusting||35g|
|Chopped ginger root||½ tsp|
|Chopped garlic||½ tsp|
|Dark soy sauce||1 tsp|
|Vegetable oil||for deep frying|
|For the sweet and sticky Manchurian chilli glaze:|
|Chopped ginger root||1 tsp|
|Chopped garlic||1 tsp|
|Green chilli deseeded and sliced||2|
|Medium onion finely chopped||1|
|Red pepper sliced||½|
|Spring onions finely sliced||4|
|Dark soy sauce||1 ½ tbsps|
|Red chilli sauce||1 ½ tsps|
|Tomato ketchup||2 tbsps|
|Cornflour dissolved in a little water||1 tsp|
|Vegetable oil||1 tbsp|
The page that you are currently reading is an ad feature
For the battered baby sweetcorn:
- Thoroughly defrost the baby sweetcorn and cut in half.
- Prepare the batter by blending garlic, ginger, soy sauce, salt and water in a jug.
- Put the cornflour and plain flour in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the wet mixture and whisk well until you have a smooth batter.
- Dust the baby sweetcorn cobs in the extra flour.
- Dip the dusted baby sweetcorn cobs in the batter and then deep fry in hot vegetable oil @ 190°c until crispy, golden and cooked through.
For the sweet sticky Manchurian chilli sauce:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a sauce pan over a medium heat.
- Add the ginger, garlic, Chilli, onion, pepper and cook until soft without burning.
- Add the soy sauce, chilli sauce and ketchup, cook gently until everything is combined.
- Remove from the heat and add the cornflour – water slurry and stir well.
- Return to the heat and cook until you have a thick, sticky and glossy sauce.
Place the cooked battered con into a large bowl, spoon over the sauce and stir well. Garnish with the chopped spring onions.