|Chicken stock mix||18g|
|Chicken thigh (skinless and boneless)||10 pieces|
|Shortcrust pastry block||500g|
|Banana shallots (large)||200g|
|Plain white flower||80g|
|Wild mushroom mix||500g|
|Free range medium eggs||4|
|World of spice white mustard seeds||15g|
|(Pease pudding) triple Lion yellow split peas||500g|
|(Pease pudding) water||2000ml|
|(Pease pudding) banana shallots (large)||150g|
|(Pease pudding) carrot hydro-cool||100g|
|(Pease pudding) bay leaves||2g|
|(Pease pudding) thyme||5g|
|(Pease pudding) Sea Salt||5g|
|(Pease pudding) white wine vinegar||30ml|
|(Pease pudding) salted butter||60g|
|(Herb liquor) water||1000ml|
|(Herb liquor) chicken stock||18g|
|(Herb liquor) sleaford mixed herb||5g|
|(Herb liquor) cornflour||20g|
|(Herb liquor) salted butter||60g|
- To prepare, dice the chicken thigh and peel and cut the vegetables.
- Pour the water into a large sauce pan and add the stock. Then, add the chicken and poach until cooked. Reserve the cooking liquid for the sauce.
- Roll the pastry out and line 10 deep 4inch foil pie dishes. Allow for some overlap and pie lids. Allow the pastry to rest in the fridge.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the sliced shallots, leeks and sauté for a few minutes until softened.
- Stir in the flour and cook out, then add the reserved stock a little at a time.
- Add the cream, mustard, bay and thyme and bring this to a simmer. Reduce until the sauce has become rich and velvety.
- Quickly cook the wild mushrooms and add to the sauce, then allow to cool completely.
- Peel and blanch the asparagus and then cut into 1inch lengths. Set to one side.
- Mix the cooked chicken with the sauce. Spoon even amounts into each pie, and then add the blanched asparagus and a little more sauce.
- Place the lids onto the pies and crimp. Brush with egg yolk wash, and some mustard seeds. Bake the pies for 25-40 minutes or until the pastry is cooked underneath.
- Serve with a side of Pease pudding and a small pot of herb liquor.
- (Pease pudding - 15 minutes) peel and dice the carrots and shallots into 15mm pieces.
- (Pease pudding) place the split yellow peas into a large saucepan and cover with water.
- (Pease pudding) add the chopped vegetables, bay and thyme and bring to the simmer. Skim regularly.
- (Pease pudding) once the peas are tender and the water has absorbed, remove the thyme sprigs and bay.
- (Pease pudding) blend until almost smooth and then add the salt, vinegar and butter. Stir it all through.
- (Pease pudding) keep it warm until required.
- (Herb and liquor for pie - 5 minutes) Peel and dice the carrots and shallots into 15mm pieces.
- (Herb and liquor for pie) heat the water and whisk in the stock. Then reduce it slightly.
- (Herb and liquor for pie) add the herbs and continue to cook, then slurry the cornflour with 60ml of water and add this to the stock.
- (Herb and liquor for pie) whisk in the butter and keep warm until required.