|Everyday Favourites broad beans||550g|
|Lemon juice||3 & ½ tbsps|
|Garlic clove, pressed||1|
|Fine sea salt||1 tsp|
|Fresh mint leaves||12|
|Fresh pepper||a few grinds|
|Hot chilli powder||a few pinches|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 tbsps|
- Boil a pot of water on the stove. Pour beans into boiling water and simmer for about 5 minutes. Test one to make sure the inside is cooked.
- While your beans are cooking, put a few ice-cubes into a bowl of cold tap water. As soon as the beans are ready, drain them and then chuck them into the bowl with icy water. This step isn’t necessary, but it will ensure that the beans keep their vibrant colour.
- Shell the beans (i.e remove the outer shell) by making a tiny incision at the top of the bean and pressing the inside out.
- Place shelled beans (you should get about 400g or 2 cups), minced garlic, lemon juice, mint leaves, salt, pepper and chilli (if using) into a food processor.
- As the processor is churning the mixture, gradually add cold water (about 80ml) until the mixture loosens up. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil, although you can skip it if you want.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve with a bit of extra virgin olive oil (1 tbsp) on top – it will prevent the spread from drying up once served. Serve with bread and chopped up veg sticks.