According to the NHS, there are some simple steps you can take to ensure a better-balanced diet. They include:
- Eating at least five portions of fruit and vegetables every day.
- Basing meals on higher-fibre starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice or pasta.
- Eating some beans, pulses, fish, eggs, meat and other proteins.
- Choosing unsaturated oils and spreads in small amounts.
- Drinking at least 6 to 8 glasses of fluids per day.
- Having some dairy or dairy alternatives.
To maintain a healthy weight, the NHS advise that men should aim to consume around 2,500 calories per day, while women should have around 2,000 calories.